[CentOS] hard drive question - WD red

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Apr 22 20:09:16 UTC 2013

Tom Bishop wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 2:50 PM, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>
>> I see a really good price, and better for quantity, for 3TB drives. Now,
>> I've been down on WD for a couple of years, since I found that they'd
>> protected certain h/d parms from being changed (like TLER). The ones I'm
>> looking at are the Red, which seems to be a new color (at least to me),
>> and one technical review I've read says that they're intended for NAS,
>> etc, and you can adjust those parms. They're *not* supposed to be
>> "enterprise" or server grade, but it sounds like they'd work with RAID.
>>
>> Anyone know anything about them?

> They are made more for the soho environment, not sure I would even use
> them there.  If its critical enough for RAID environment then I would
use the
> enterprise class drives WD-RE or the Seagate equiv.  IIRC they were not
> even spinning those at 7200rpm, i just pony up for the good ones, and I'm
> cheap ;)

Yeah, well, I work for a federal contractor, so this is your and my tax
dollars (and when someone starts spouting that all feds spend money like
water, I'm going give them a cluex4...).

But, after reading your comments, and looking and seeing a similar comment
on Tom's Hardware, I called their support - they even have a tech support
24x7 specifically for red, and the tech, when I asked, didn't even blink
when he told me it was 7200 full speed....

And have you looked at the price for server grade anything? They want 2-3
times the base price.

Thanks, though, for such a quick response... and helping push me to call.

    mark