[CentOS] Merging os and updates

isdtor isdtor at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 12:46:34 UTC 2013

Some updates.

Rebooting after kickstart, the vnc screen shows

Booting from Hard Disk...
GRUB

It's hung there. This makes me think that grub wasn't installed
correctly. But this looks normal:

# file -s /dev/dm-6
/dev/dm-6: x86 boot sector; GRand Unified Bootloader, stage1 version
0x3, boot drive 0x80, 1st sector stage2 0x882ee7, GRUB version n.m;
partition 1: ID=0x83, active, starthead 1, startsector 63, 20964762
sectors, code offset 0x48
#

Next, with some kpartx magic, I'm able to mount the single partition
on the lv that provides the vm's disk device and find that /boot is
all kernel pieces. Modules are missing, too, so the kernel didn't get
installed. Manually extracting the kernel rpm and putting the pieces
into place does not help, even if I build an initrd.