[CentOS] IPv6

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 16:51:25 UTC 2013

On 04/24/2013 12:46 PM, Matt wrote:
> I have setup a CentOS 6.3 VPS with ONLY IPv6 access simply for testing
> at this point.  It browses the Internet with lynx fine on most major
> sites that are IPv6 enabled.  Yum does not seem to work though.
> Always tries to connect to an IPv4 mirror and gives an error.  Is
> there a way specify an IPv6 mirror to yum?

Run through your mirror list, find a mirror which has a AAAA record in
DNS, and specify that one explicitly?

For this kind of circumstance, my first approach would be to put a squid
proxy on a dual-stacked (IPv4 & IPv6) host, and set http_proxy on the
v6-only host such that outbound HTTP connections would pass through the
squid proxy; the squid proxy will then use either IPv4 or IPv6 as
appropriate for the requested destination host.

(Incidentally, this is a great way to give IPv6 access to IPv4 hosts as
well. I was once surprised to discover my PS3 pulling video from Netflix
over IPv6 in this way.)