[CentOS] How to make a network interface come up automatically on link up?

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 17:07:41 UTC 2013

On 04/22/2013 10:30 AM, Joakim Ziegler wrote:
> I've tried various combinations of HOTPLUG=yes and no, and MANAGED=yes
> and no, then someone asked me if this was really not managed, so I
> posted the dmesg output above.

I'm pretty sure HOTPLUG is only used when the interface ITSELF is
attached to the system at runtime, not the cable, and MANAGED isn't used
at all.

If you set NM_CONTROLLED=no then the configuration will be loaded only
if the system starts the "network" service and the configuration will
not change on link up/link down.

Otherwise, you need to check the messages log file for information from
NetworkManager.  dmesg will not tell you what you need to know.