[CentOS] kde in centos 6.4

Miranda Hawarden-Ogata hawarden at ifa.hawaii.edu
Thu Apr 25 18:41:25 UTC 2013

On 2013/04/25 07:51, Craig White wrote:
> On Apr 23, 2013, at 9:59 PM, Michel Donais wrote:
>
>> Brand new Centos 6.4 installation.
>> The window manager is Gnome; I tried some trick found on the web to chande
>> it to KDE without success.
>> Do somebody can tell me what to do to get KDE working on this installation.
> ----
> You should be able to change the session to any properly installed Desktop Environment by choosing 'session' at the login screen.
>
> If not, you can change by installing switchdesk-gui package and running the program from the command line - something like 'switchdesk KDE' which should take effect the next time you login.
>
> Craig

Michel, are you trying to change your window manager (gdm vs kdm) or
your desktop (gnome vs kde)?

If you are trying to change your desktop, then Craig's suggestion would
work, though keep in mind that the "session" section of the gdm window
manager is on the password screen, i.e. you enter your username and then
you have the option to change your desktop on the next screen. Like Mark
said, they don't make it easy, meh!

If you are trying to change the window manager itself, as in have kdm
handle the login screen rather than gdm, then you would need to create
the file /etc/sysconfig/desktop and put these two lines in that file:

DESKTOP="KDE"
DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"

then reboot the machine and it should come back up with the kdm console
screen (and the system default desktop set to kde). Keep in mind that
you may need to explicitly install the yum group KDE-Desktop in order to
set the window manager to kdm. Depending on which type of os install you
did, that group doesn't get installed. For example, for my workstations
we generally use the install choice Software Development Workstation,
and we need to do a yum-install of the group after the os installation
is finished (since we don't bother with the customization stuff until
post-install).

Hope this helps!
Miranda