[CentOS] Why is my default DISPLAY suddenly :3.0?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 16:06:07 UTC 2013

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 10:36 AM, Keith Keller
<kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:

>>> I'm on Fedora 6.3. After a reboot, some proprietary software didn't want
>>> to run. I found out that the startup script for said software manually
>>> sets DISPLAY to :0.0, which I know is not a good idea, and I can fix.
>>
>> I'd thought that :0.0 was the norm.
>
> It is, but it's not a hard and fast rule.  If you are running multiple
> local X consoles, for example, they can't all be :0.0.  I've also seen
> different identifiers when one X session is hung and/or doesn't finish
> cleanly before a new one is brought up.

I don't know why the session on the first console wouldn't be :0.0,
but I'd consider any X application that cared what display it uses  to
be badly broken. I'm much more likely to run things in a freenx/NX
session than on the main console (if there even is one).

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com