[CentOS] ECC memory errors

Vipul Agarwal vipul at nuttygeeks.com
Mon Apr 29 13:50:42 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Peter Peltonen <peter.peltonen at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 2:59 PM, mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>

> > DIMM went bad. No big thing. Your only problem may be to identify which
> > one, he says, about to go into work to do just that.
> >

> Thanks for your response and suggestions.
>
> About identifying the faulty DIMM: Is the memtest provided on the CentOS5
> installation disk best tool for this purpose? And do I need to switch ECC
> off from BIOS while I test the memories?
>
> The EDAC error msg reports problems with bank0. Can I trust this? I tried
> installing edac-utils to get more information, but after installation it
> only generates segmentation fault:
>
> # edac-util --report=simple
> Segmentation fault
>
> # edac-util -s
> Segmentation fault
>
> # rpm -qv edac-utils
> edac-utils-0.9-6.el5
>
> Regards,
> Peter

Hi Peter

One of my old HP DL585 had a similar issue but it turned out that the DIMM
slots were at fault. The server chassis had few led blinking red for those
DIMM slots and indicating that they are faulty. I removed the memory from
those slot and re-inserted them to the spare DIMM slots and everything is
working fine since then.

Regards,
Vipul