[CentOS] Firewire on Centos-6 ???

Fred Smith

fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri Aug 2 16:15:26 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 03:06:41PM -0400, Fred Smith wrote:

Since I've received no responses, whatsover, to the posting below, I'm
going to guess no one in the Centos community uses Firewire with Centos...
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Nevertheless, I'd appreciate any advice/guesses/guidance/related info
if anyone has any at all.

Googling, I found a post from around 2006 or so (Centos 4.1) saying that
Centos doesn't compile Firewire support, and which then gave some steps
for installing a CentosPlus kernel.

Is that still the case? I'd sure be not real happy to have to install a
nonstandard kernel...

But since there ARE some packages whose namems contain the string "1394"
one would think that maybe it is INTENDED to be supported.

But either way, I am not getting anywhere with it.

Below, I give all the info I can think of that might be helpful in
determining what's my problem, so I'd appreciate it if someone who knows
something about Kernel and/or Firewire could drop me a note.

Thanks a bunch!

Fred
----------------------
> Hi all!
>
> I'm trying to use my first-ever firewire device, and just OOB I'm not
> getting very far, so advice would be appreciated.
>
> When I plug in the device I see some entries in /var/log/messages:
>
> 	Jul 27 14:50:30 fcshome kernel: firewire_core: phy config: card 0, new root=ffc1, gap_count=5
> 	Jul 27 14:50:31 fcshome kernel: firewire_core: created device fw1: GUID 0003f300118123f9, S100
>

> lsmod says this:
>
> 	# lsmod | grep fire
> 	firewire_ohci          24695  0
> 	firewire_core          50151  1 firewire_ohci
> 	crc_itu_t               1717  2 udf,firewire_core
>
> I have these 1394-related packages installed:
>
> 	# yum list installed | grep 1394
> 	libavc1394.x86_64       0.5.3-9.1.el6   @anaconda-CentOS-201207061011.x86_64/6.3
> 	libdc1394.x86_64        2.1.2-3.4.el6   @base
> 	libdc1394-docs.x86_64   2.1.2-3.4.el6   @base
> 	libdc1394-tools.x86_64  2.1.2-3.4.el6   @base
> 	libraw1394.x86_64       2.0.4-1.el6     @anaconda-CentOS-201207061011.x86_64/6.3
>
> lspci says this:
>
> 	03:0e.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB23 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)
>
> the only mention of 1394 that I see in /etc/modprobe.d is this
> (grep output):
>
> 	dist.conf:install eth1394 /bin/true
>
> which, to the limited extent of my understanding shouldn't be a problem.
>

> I'm trying to use Kino. when I start it up and click the "capture"
> tab on the right I get a warning in the bar at the bottom of the Kino
> window that reads:
>
>    WARNING: raw1394 kernel module not loaded or failure to read/write
>             /dev/raw/1394!
>
> which makes sense since there ins't a /dev/raw/1394. however, according to
> this:
>
> 	# find /dev -name \*firewire\* -print
> 	/dev/.udev/db/firewire:fw1
> 	/dev/.udev/db/firewire:fw0
>
> there are two firewire device nodes.
>
> Should Kino be using one of those device nodes instead of /dev/raw/1394?
> Or if not, does anyone have further advice (preferably helpful advice) ??
>
> thanks!
>
> Fred

  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding