[CentOS] 3TB External USB Drive isn't recognized

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Tue Aug 13 15:17:42 UTC 2013

On 08/12/2013 01:20 PM, Toby Bluhm wrote:
> I've gone through the same scenario. I believe the USB
> layer/interface/driver/whatever in C5 is the pinch point. I have SATA
> attached GPT labeled 3TB disks working just fine in C5. Put the very
> same disk in a USB enclosure and it's not recognized as 3TB - sees it
> as some fraction of its true size.

More likely it's the USB host controller on the USB-SATA interface board
that's the pinch point.  For the direct SATA connection, the drive may
go into the 512e mode of the advanced format; perhaps the USB-SATA
interface tells the drive the go into the 4k native mode during
enclosure powerup?  That would make sense for the symptoms you're seeing.