[CentOS] Macromedia Flash data (compressed), version 9

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Tue Aug 13 16:48:40 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 10:51:58AM -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Aug 2013, Yves Bellefeuille wrote:
>
> > On Monday 12 August 2013, Michael Hennebry
> > <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:
> >
> >> I've copied some files from the firefox cache.
> >> According to file, they are Macromedia Flash data (compressed),
> >>  version 9. How do I play them locally?
> >
> > Download the Flash files using Video Download Helper:
> > https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/addon/video-downloadhelper/?src=ss
>
> Thanks.
> It looks like it would be useful, but it does not solve my immediate problem.
> I've got the file, but I cannot play it locally.

Judging from a very cursory google, seems that there isn't one good answer
to this.  Therefore, you might try downloading the file again, using the
video download helper plugin that was recommended.

I've used that successfully in the past--it will, if I just choose download
from the options, save an flv file (not compressed) in a directory it
creates, dwhelper.

> It seems to me that if firefox could play it from far away,
> firefox should be able to play it on my computer.
> So far, that seems not to be the case.

What happens if you add .swf to the file's name.  (I haven't followed the

Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )