[CentOS] Macromedia Flash data (compressed), version 9

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Tue Aug 13 18:36:30 UTC 2013

On 8/13/2013 10:48, Scott Robbins wrote:

>> It seems to me that if firefox could play it from far away,
>> firefox should be able to play it on my computer.
>> So far, that seems not to be the case.
>>
> What happens if you add .swf to the file's name.

This doesn't work because Firefox proper doesn't play .swf files.  It
hands it off to the Flash Plugin.

So, one method is to write a simple .html file, embedding the Flash
Plugin, naming the file you have:

     https://www.google.com/?q=embed+flash+player

Another method is to open the file with Chrome, since Chrome *does* have
Flash playback built-in.

There's a problem here, which is that without the <embed> stuff, Chrome
doesn't know how big to make the SWF object, so it fills the whole
content area.  It doesn't even maintain the "proper" aspect ratio, since
Chrome doesn't know that, either.  If this is important to you, you'll
need to write the <embed> stuff regardless.

On Windows, there are "Flash Player" programs that overcome this problem
in other ways, but I don't know of any for Linux.