[CentOS] yum-plugin-priorities

Ljubomir Ljubojevic centos at plnet.rs
Thu Aug 15 17:17:23 UTC 2013

On 08/15/2013 01:07 PM, Scott Robbins wrote:

>>> See http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum/Priorities ( take a close
>>> look at section 5 )
>>
>> Thanks for your response.
>> I had actually read this section, but evidently do not understand it.
>> I take it the 66 packages mentioned are in "unofficial" repositories,
>> in my case rpmforge.repo.rpmnew ?
>>

> If you have a repo called something.repo.rpmnew, it will be ignored.
> You would have to rename it to something.repo.
>

> To oversimplify, say that you have rpmforge, base, and epel repos.  Say
> that all of them have versions of perl.  However, these versions may
> conflict with each other and break things.
>
> So, if you gave base and updates priority of 1, then the others, even if
> they have a later version of perl, won't install it.  The downside is that
> you're running the older version.  The upside is that you don't risk this
> newer version of perl breaking some other package that you'd forgotten.
>
> There are disadvantages--as the wiki page in question mentions, the late
> Seth Vidal disliked it.

Warning: If you set priority of base repo to 1, and priority of updates
repo (or all others) to 2, then packages in updates repository will be
hidden. that is why it is so important to have same priority on both
base and updates repositories.

Any package name that exists in 2 or more repositories will be hidden
from repositories with higher number / lesser priority (just like those
66 in your case). Example:

httpd.x86_64 => ver. 2.2.15-26.el6.centos in base
httpd.x86_64 => ver  2.2.15-28.el6.centos in updates
httpd.x86_64 => ver. 2.2.15-29.el6.centos in updates

With priority plugin: base=1, updates=2 (or nothing)
2 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
Available:
httpd.x86_64 => ver. 2.2.15-26.el6.centos from base

With priority plugin: base=1, updates=1 (same priority)
0 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
Available:
httpd.x86_64 => ver. 2.2.15-29.el6.centos from updates

--
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)