[CentOS] Red Hat CEO: Go Ahead, Copy Our Software

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 14:26:20 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 6:04 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

>>> learn the difference between trademarks and software licences
>>
>> So, if you have a license that says  "the distribution of the whole
>> must be on the terms of this License," and " You may not impose any
>> further restrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights granted
>> herein", it really means that you can add something that adds
>> restrictions.
>
> are you really that stupid?
>
> do you think the CentOS packages are falling from heaven?
> no, they are built from the RHEL srpms

So which section of the GPL is it that exempts binaries from being
considered derived works with the same requiremnets?

>>> so learn it or shut up with your Redhat hate for no reason
>>
>> I have my reason. You don't have to like it
>
> so be man enough and do not use it instead whine like a teen girl

Breaking compatibility would go against everything I like about Linux
and  it's not like the alternatives are perfect either. But regardless
of how much you care about my opinion, can you seriously say that you
like the fact that the community of free users that helped take the
Red Hat product from something that barely worked up to the fairly
robust and usable 7.x version has been split into a set that favors
stability using CentOS where there is really no way to contribute
improvements and the wild and crazy fedora set that doesn't care about
stability or maintaining compatible interfaces across versions.  With
the fedora set driving new development...

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com