[CentOS] Red Hat CEO: Go Ahead, Copy Our Software

Carl T. Miller carl at carltm.com
Fri Aug 16 17:18:10 UTC 2013

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> If you are asking for an opinion, I actually agree that they (Red Hat)
> should also give it away for free.  However, nothing requires them to do
> so.   Since they didn't, CentOS was created and fills that niche.

Hmm.  In my opinion, Red Hat is doing the right thing.  I
learned long ago that customers fall into a quadrant of
being high profit or low profit and low maintenance or
high maintenance.  It's always a good decision to drop
the low profit and high maintenance customers.

By doing this, Red Hat keeps a good reputation since it
can avoid dealing with users who are most likely to have
a bad experience due to unrealistic expectations.

I'm just glad that they do provide the source code and
that the folks behind CentOS do everything that they do!