[CentOS] Red Hat CEO: Go Ahead, Copy Our Software

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 19:33:53 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 2:15 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

>> Sorry, but that quote does not appear in any copy of the GPL that I
>> can find.  And it's not true, either.  Everything it says is about
>> 'works as a whole' and anything that can be considered a copy or
>> derivative work under copyright law
>
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
>
> and now *show me* the word *binary* or *binaries* in any paragraph

And that is exactly the point.  They are not considered differently in
terms of restrictions you can apply or adding to 'works as a whole' in
copyright terms.   If the distribution of any part of a work is only
permitted by the GPL and you don't follow the GPL terms (say, by
adding restrictions of your own), you would not be permitted to
distribute at all.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com