[CentOS] Red Hat CEO: Go Ahead, Copy Our Software

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sat Aug 17 01:15:21 UTC 2013

On 8/16/2013 6:07 PM, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> On 08/16/2013 10:53 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> >SUSE does not release their enterprise sources and there
>> >is no SLES clone because of it.
> I can't believe I never thought about it (to wonder why there wasn't any
> SLES clone)...
>
> Shouldn't they release the source for the GPL packages?  I thought there
> was no way around it (and therefore that's why Red Hat had to do it).

a number of embedded consumer boxes just release tarballs of the stock
distribution software, without any of their modifications, drivers, or
build configuration.    try and find sources for, say, a WD TV Live, and
you'll find  a tarball of distribution tarballs of the linux kernel,
ulibc, and various other such things, all dead stock.