[CentOS] OT: laptop recommendations for CentOS6

Ljubomir Ljubojevic centos at plnet.rs
Sat Aug 17 12:53:15 UTC 2013

On 08/17/2013 02:03 PM, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> CentOS is using what kernel? 2.x??
> which was not designed to work with newer hardware but Fedora works fine
> with it.
> If you need specific functions like EMAIL WEB etc take a look at the
> latest stable Fedora and go back one version and test it.
> I am using Fedora(18) on a very old MSI (5 years or more) and it works
> nice but not as fast as newer basic desktop corei3.
> I assume that Fedora will work on basic laptop chipsets.
> they do have compatibly list:
> http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/HardwareList
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/HCL/Machines/Laptops
>
> if you can know what is the chipset on each card like atheros broadcom
> intel nvidia ati etc you can make sure that the OS will work with it.
> my desktop has a ATI card so it's suppose to be compatible with Fedora.
>
> Did you considered other OS for the machine?
>
> Eliezer

Eliezer, pleasse learn from this article:
https://lwn.net/Articles/486304/

Then you should learn about ElRepo (www.elrepo.org) kernel modules that
provide drivers for anything that was asked by users. Even Broadcom
drivers are available for quick recompile and some of us provide already
recompiled Broadcom kmod packages.

I use CentOS 5.x and 6.x on Laptop for 5 years now and I have everything
working.

--
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)