[CentOS] OT: laptop recommendations for CentOS6

Ljubomir Ljubojevic centos at plnet.rs
Sat Aug 17 13:08:36 UTC 2013

On 08/16/2013 06:06 PM, carlopmart wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>    First of all, sorry for the OT. I need to buy a new laptop for my
> work. My prerequisites are:
>
> - RAM: 6/8 GiB (preferably 8 GiB)
> - Processor: Core i7
> - Disk: up to 500 GiB for SATA, 128 GiB for SSD.
> - Graphics card: Intel HD (I really hate to use Nvidia or ATI Radeon
> graphics cards).
>
>    The most important tasks will be:
>
>    - Surf the web :)
>    - Read email
>    - And the Most important task: I need to install complete virtual test
> labs on it using KVM, Xen and VMware suites to run several different
> types of OSes: RHEL, CentOS, OEL, Solaris-like, BSD, Windows 2012/2008
> R2, etc.
>

> Any suggestions?? My first choice will be Toshiba or Lenovo laptops and
> of course it needs to be 100% compatible with CentOS6 (or almost at 95%).
>
> Thanks.

I recently bought Samsung NP350E5x-A04HR that is all Intel with with
traditional Fn function (some manufacturers reverse the Fn action so you
get F1-F12 WITH Fn, and play/pause/wireless/etc are used WITHOUT Fn key)
with current problem that volume key goes haywire when pressed several
times and freezes screen. Only thing that it failed to recognize is Card
Reader, it looks like some bus is not recognized.

Design is good, key are fairly large, numerical keyboard properly spaced
and almost all keys on traditional places (arrows are little smaller),
it has 1Gbit Lan, 2 x USB3 + 2xUSB2, touchpad is large and there are no
connectors on the back of the laptop (only on the sides).

So you might want to check out Samsung models with same specs (mine has
Pentium DualCore, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD).

--
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)