[CentOS] OT: laptop recommendations for CentOS6

Andrew Wyatt andrew at fuduntu.org
Sat Aug 17 16:42:35 UTC 2013

On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 11:37 AM, carlopmart <carlopmart at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17/08/13 12:03, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
> > Hey there,
> >
> > CentOS is using what kernel? 2.x??
> > which was not designed to work with newer hardware but Fedora works fine
> > with it.
> > If you need specific functions like EMAIL WEB etc take a look at the
> > latest stable Fedora and go back one version and test it.
> > I am using Fedora(18) on a very old MSI (5 years or more) and it works
> > nice but not as fast as newer basic desktop corei3.
> > I assume that Fedora will work on basic laptop chipsets.
> > they do have compatibly list:
> > http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/HardwareList
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/HCL/Machines/Laptops
> >
> > if you can know what is the chipset on each card like atheros broadcom
> > intel nvidia ati etc you can make sure that the OS will work with it.
> > my desktop has a ATI card so it's suppose to be compatible with Fedora.
> >
> > Did you considered other OS for the machine?
> >

> Fedora is not an option for me, due to:
>
> - It is a bleeding-edge distro (stability is most important)
> - VMware Workstation doesn't works out of the box
> - EOL for every release is too short
>

> If I can't install CentOS, the other only OS option is Debian.

There are a few repos out there with kernel 3.4.x for CentOS 6 including
the CentOS Xen-c6 repo (http://dev.centos.org/centos/6/xen-c6/x86_64/RPMS/) and
my personal repo at SF (http://sourceforge.net/projects/fuduntu-el/).

Kernel 3.4 may give you the support you need, and also keep compatibility
with VMWare Workstation.  Worth evaluating before giving up.