[CentOS] Xyratex disk units

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sat Aug 17 21:16:25 UTC 2013

On 8/16/2013 10:51 AM, Tony Schreiner wrote:
> Some years ago I installed a NAS unit from Exanet which consists of 2 rebadged IBM x3650 head nodes and a couple of Xyratex disk shelves with a total of 96 TB of raw disk, connected by fibre channel. The operating system is based on CentOS 4.4, but is modified, and runs a proprietary file system. It has pretty good performance and I'm happy with it.

I would consider dumping the head nodes, and connecting the FC arrays
directly to the host HBA, and running them as fiber JBOD to a dedicated
host, which could run whatever sort of mdraid, lvm, file system you
want.  or something like FreeNAS with ZFS and FreeBSD, then share stuff
via SMB, NFS, etc.