[CentOS] RHEL Subscriptions

Michael Coffman michael.coffman at avagotech.com
Thu Aug 22 20:35:16 UTC 2013

FWIW - The current iteration of redhat's subscription seems to require you
to have all systems on an up to date subscription if you want to use the OS
- for anything on anything.   At least that's the way we've interpreted
it.   This did not use to be the case.   Previous iterations said you were
free to use the OS after the subscription expired.

>From the subscription overview here:   (key words in the following, "if you
have no other active subscriptions")

"If you choose to let all your subscriptions expire and have no other
active subscriptions in your organization, you retain the right to use the
software, but your entire environment will no longer receive any of the
subscription benefits, including:

   - The latest certified software versions.
   - Security errata or bug fixes.
   - Red Hat technical support.
   - Access to the Customer Portal.
   - Red Hat's Open Source Assurance."

And from the Redhat's global licensing appendix 1 about subscription
services here:

http://www.redhat.com/licenses/GLOBAL_Appendix_1_English_20130611.pdf
"1.2 Use of Software and Subscription Services: While you have
subscriptions entitling you to receive Subscription Services for a Red Hat
Product, you are required to purchase Subscription Services in a quantity
equal to the total number of Units of that Red Hat Product (including
variants or components thereof) that you deploy, install,
use or execute."

The above are not my words, they come directly from Redhat's subscription
docs.   Make of them what you will.

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 3:57 AM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

> On 8/18/2013 7:30 PM, Anthony K wrote:
> > I was recently approached by Dell stating that I HAVE TO renew my Red
> > Hat Subscriptions.  I challenged this statement and was informed that
> > this has always been the case and that all servers I have bought off of
> > Dell over the years need to have current subscription!
>
> Here's my take on that...
>
> If you don't keep your RHEL support contract active, you will no longer
> be able to use yum to do online installs or updates.   And, Dell will be
> less able to support you in whatever support contract you have with them.
>
> Your mileage may vary.
>
> --
> john r pierce                                      37N 122W
> somewhere on the middle of the left coast

-MichaelC