[CentOS] USB Audio sound card

Glenn Eychaner geychaner at mac.com
Fri Aug 23 13:18:52 UTC 2013

On Aug 23, 2013, at 8:00 AM, centos-request at centos.org wrote:

> From: Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] USB Audio sound card
>
> On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 10:03:08PM -0400, Glenn Eychaner wrote:
>> On Aug 22, 2013, at 3:11 PM, Glenn Eychaner <geychaner at mac.com> wrote:
>>
>> I apologize.  I should have said here "A quick search of the web (and the NewEgg
>> comments) indicates that these devices generally work under *Linux*, but do they
>> work in CentOS 6?
>
> good point. I should have known that's what you meant.
>
> however, it gives one hope. especially since many of those comments are
> a couple years old, it's given time for drivers to work their way into
> other distros--assuming the drivers were new at that time, and they may
> not have been.
>
> especially that first one you ask about is dirt cheap, so maybe the way
> to do it is to go buy one and try it.

If I were in the U.S., I certainly would do that.  As it is, I'm in Chile; if I can even find something similar here, it will likely be more expensive (I found one so far, but it's a high-end 5.1 model and costs USD$40), and ordering from the U.S. is a multiweek turnaround time. Hence, I decided to ask first and suffer the wrath of the list for "asking the obvious".

-G.
--
Glenn Eychaner (geychaner at lco.cl)
Telescope Systems Programmer, Las Campanas Observatory