[CentOS] Looking for a tutorial or manpage describing sysctl params

Carl T. Miller carl at carltm.com
Sat Aug 24 13:11:49 UTC 2013

adrian at pa0rda.nl wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm looking for a toturial or manpage describing all the thing that you
> can set with sysctl on RHEL 6 or CentOS 6.
> It apperas the the default /etc/sysctl.conf coming with the distribution
> gives a couple of errors on bridgen.
> Any hints???

Sure.

Hint 1.  Find what rpm package installed the file.
rpm -qf /etc/sysctl.conf

Hint 2.  Find out what documentation came with that package.
rpm -qd initscripts

Hint 3.  See if you can find anything in those files.
(I didn't).

Hint 4.  Search for "linux sysctl howto"
(Reading a few pages let me know that it won't be a simple
webpage with all the answers.)

Hint 5.  Search for "linux sysctl parameters"
(One hit looks pretty good.  Read it for advice.)
http://archive09.linux.com/feature/146599

Hint 6.  Search for "linux sysctl bridgen"
Have fun!

0