[CentOS] ... cdfs?

ken gebser at mousecar.com
Sat Aug 24 16:49:36 UTC 2013

On 08/21/2013 07:53 AM Joerg Schilling wrote:
> ken <gebser at mousecar.com> wrote:
>
>> Then too of course there'd need to be a way to ascertain if there was
>> any substantial differences in the outputs.  There's some code out there
>> since kernel version 2.2 called cdfs which doesn't seem to be on my
>> (v.5.9) system.  This allows mounting an audio CD or a disk image of one
>> so that it can be examined and, presumably, manipulated.  In fact, maybe
>> this is all I need at the moment... that is, after cloning the CD to a
>> disk image, it might be possible to edit the track data prior to
>> burning.  I don't burn CDs that often, so this would be an acceptable
>> solution.
>
> This cdfs does not deliver better quality than from using the "read audio"
> ioctls from the kernel. Cdda2wav gives much better quylity in case of
> non-optiimal media and cdda2wav gives you the meta data you need to make a
> decent copy. You don't get that from cdfs.
>
> Jörg

CDfs allows mounting a CD with something like:

# mount -t cdfs -o ro /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdfs

[From <http://users.elis.ugent.be/~mronsse/cdfs/>.]

How would a person mount a CD using the software mentioned above (if
that would be possible at all)?

Also, I haven't been able to find cdfs in 5.9.  Is it to be found in a
later version?