[CentOS] Is X79 Motherboard supported by latest "Centos 5.9" version?

Michael Duvall michael.duvall at ccur.com
Mon Aug 26 12:25:32 UTC 2013

        Hi Guys, In a bit of a pickle.. Is anyone running the latest "Centos 5.9"
        or earlier version with an Intel X79 based motherboard. I have a server
        which needs the motherboard replacing asap and I have a spare "Sabertooth
        X79". I have a machine with a "Sabertooth X79" motherboard to test on
        which boots up fine on on "Centos 5.9 i386" image from the troubled
        server. However the output from "lspci" (see below) seems far less
        descriptive than you normally see in "Centos 5" or "Centos 6". I am just a
        bit worried that this might imply lack of support. I do not need
        audio/firewire.. but need the essential to work memory, sata etc. Also I
        thought "i386" installs could not see more than 3 and a bit Gigs of ram?
        The test machine has 32G and meminfo shows

        MemTotal:      3574676 kB
        MemFree:       3146556 kB

Steve,

You need to run a PAE 32-bit kernel in order to see more than 3.1 GB.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the lspci output yet.

Regards,
--
Michael Duvall <michael.duvall at ccur.com>
Concurrent Computer Corporation