[CentOS] nfs4, idmapd, users with same name, different uid?

James A. Peltier jpeltier at sfu.ca
Wed Aug 28 16:38:38 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
| On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 11:04 AM, Barbara Krasovec
| <barbarak at arnes.si> wrote:
| > >>
| >> I have no experience with idmapd in linux, but in solaris and
| >> netapp it
| >> gets ugly quite easily :-)
| >>
| > It also works with same UID-s on server/client, just setting the
| > domainname in idmapd.conf. Ldap is not obligatory.
|
| This is a small lab-type setting but I'm trying to merge two sets of
| machines set up by different groups to have a common home directory
| server that all the others automount.  The number of users is small
| enough that I'll just 'usermod' them into the same uid numbers, but I
| don't see why it is worth running the idmapd daemon at all, when all
| it does is map everyone to nobody if you forget to set the domains
| identically.   And after fixing the uids to match, is there any
| advantage to nfsv4 at all?

Over NFSv3?  Yes, single port for traffic and extended ACLs.  Throw in Kerberos and you have authenticated access to resources.

--
James A. Peltier
Manager, IT Services - Research Computing Group
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.sfu.ca/itservices

“A successful person is one who can lay a solid foundation from the bricks others have thrown at them.” -David Brinkley via Luke Shaw