[CentOS] ntpd heavy CPU consumption

Steve Thompson

smt at vgersoft.com
Thu Aug 29 21:32:29 UTC 2013

CentOS 6.4, x86_64.

ntpd on one of my systems has started consuming 66% of one core, although
it appears to be functioning correctly otherwise. No pertinent logs. Of
course, nothing was changed :) I've seen this before many times, but
usually the CPU consumption falls back to normal within a day or so, but
this has been going on for several weeks now. Stopping and restarting ntpd
makes no difference. Reinstalling ntpd makes no difference. The ntpd.conf
file is the same as on 200+ other systems, all of which work normally.
Anyone seen this before?

Steve