[CentOS] Problem upgrading from CentOS 6.4 to 6.5

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 17:06:18 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 9:46 AM, Gilbert Sebenste
<sebenste at weather.admin.niu.edu> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I had an issue with one of three servers upgrading from 6.4 to 6.5. It did
> not have the CR repo enabled.
>
> It failed dueing install, but I didn't catch the error (bad, bad, I know).
> OK, so it told me to run yum-complete transaction. After going through and
> figuring out what it had to do, it stops with this error:
>
> (etc, etc...)
> Error: Trying to remove "yum", which is protected
>   You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem

Is that error from running yum-complete-transaction?   If not, install
yum-utils and run yum-complete-transaction.  If it is,  I think it
means that your rpmdb shows 2 versions of yum installed and it is
refusing to fix it.   I'd try a 'yum update yum' to make sure you
really have the latest, then 'rpm -q yum' to see if it shows 2
versions installed, then 'yum remove' the full package-version name of
the older one.  And if yum still refuses, try 'rpm -e' with the older
package version.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com