[CentOS] Where to put the kernel driver for a Fibre Channel HBA card.

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Mon Dec 2 17:39:36 UTC 2013

On 02/12/13 14:36, Arun Khan wrote:
> CentOS 6.4 (amd64) stock kernel.
> HBA FC Accusys ACS 63200NT
>
> I built the driver from source, insmod activates the device and I can
> see the 24 TB storage volume via 'parted --list'  I have created a XFS
> files system and mounted it under /srv/
>
> Where do I need to install the driver in /lib/modules/ ... directory
> tree  so that it is loaded automatically when the system boots?
>
> TIA,

If your module is replacing a driver already in the kernel tree then it
should go in /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/updates/

If it's a new driver not present in the kernel then it should go in
/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/extra/

and then run 'depmod -a'

BTW, you should use modprobe and modprobe -r to load and unload modules
rather than insmod as modprobe understands module dependencies whereas
insmod doesn't.