[CentOS] SOHO colour laser printer recommendations

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Dec 3 22:13:05 UTC 2013

Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 1:40 PM, Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> I'd really appreciate some recommendations for colour laser printers for
>> use with CentOS. It's for light home use with CentOS 5 and CentOS 6
>> systems.
>>
>> Must have:
>>
>> 1. Colour. Quality not that important as mainly for kids school project
>> type of stuff.
>> 2. Ethernet connectivity - want something I can plug into the network
>> 3. Cheap running costs - don't want to be spending a fortune on toner
>> 4. Linux support
>>
>> I have very little experience with printing on Linux. I'm assuming I
>> want a laser with Postscript and/or PCL emulation, and Linux driver
>> support (still not sure exactly what I should be looking for here).
>>
>> Top of my very short list at present is:
>>
>> Brother HL-4140CN at £167
>>
>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brother-HL4140CN-Network-Colour-Printer/dp/B0047753F4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386105929&sr=8-1&keywords=brother+hl-4140cn
<snip>
> I used to buy exclusively HP printers but this is not true any more.
> The quality is not as good as it used to be.

What we have at work that I really like are
http://www.amazon.com/HP-CP3525N-Color-LaserJet-Printer/dp/B001FWG8DU

They seem to have been superseded, but run $500 or so on Amazon. Note: I
DON'T buy OEM toner. Here in the US, I'm buying - both for work, and I
just bought for home - from tonerprice.com. They compatible toner works
just fine, at a fraction the price. For example, my little 1018 b/w, it
was $80 for OEM cartridge; the compatible, including shipping, was < $35
or so.

         mark