[CentOS] died again

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Thu Dec 5 04:00:25 UTC 2013

On Dec 4, 2013, at 1:22 PM, Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Dec 2013, Warren Young wrote:
>
>> At $11 for a couple of
>> tiny bottles, both of which you have to use together, it's another 2-3x
>> more expensive than tape head cleaner.
>
> For me, the bottom line is how much it will cost
> to clean *one* CPU/heat spreader combination.

Because I always have a Menda bottle full of high-purity alcohol on the electronics bench, I find many uses for it.

If I had to drive to Radio Shack every ounce or so to get a refill, I would doubtless not bother for most jobs.

>> 100% is possible if you synthesize it
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by synthesize in this context.

I mean assemble the molecules from bulk quantities of their constituent elements. :)  Chemical engineering.

As my measurement data in the post I just sent hints, there are serious practical problems -- aside from the direct economic ones -- that restrict the utility of such high-purity alcohols.  There's probably no point using it outside a cleanroom.  Dust on the glassware will wreck the purity rating otherwise.