[CentOS] Third-party SATA-RAID cards suggestions

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Dec 5 17:13:46 UTC 2013

Keith Keller wrote:
> On 2013-12-05, Sorin Srbu <Sorin.Srbu at orgfarm.uu.se> wrote:
>> Would anybody care to suggest a third party SATA-RAID card that works
out of  the box with CentOS 6, without having to jump through hoops to
make it
>> work?
>>
>> The card should preferably be able to connect ten harddrives, but I
guess three four-port cards should work as well. There's no need for
anything
>> fancy really, as long as I can create a single big software-raid on it
at CentOS install-time.

> There's little reason to do that if you have a real hardware RAID card.
(I won't say "no reason", but it would have to be extremely compelling
for it to be wise to go that route.)

>> So far I've tried a Highpoint RocketRAID 2740 and a LSI 9201-16i
without too much success.

> The MegaRAID 9271 works OOTB with CentOS 6.4.  Every 3ware card (also
from LSI) I've used also works OOTB with CentOS.  If you are new to
hardware RAID, the 3ware interface is a lot easier to learn than the
MegaRAID's.  (I suspect that other LSI cards, including the 9201, work
fine with CentOS too; perhaps you can post your error messages so we can
see what's wrong, instead of replacing a working controller.)

I tried to respond to this earlier, but *%@#$%^& manitou blocked me again.

I wouldn't recommend the RocketRaid. We have a few of them here; they work
ok, but Highpoint, who makes them, are *not* really great about updating
drivers once the card's out their door. The last one we put back into
service, I had to find the last source code they had for that card,
several years old, and then fix the code before I could compile it. (At
least it was in C).

Second on MegaRAID. The ones we have here are the Dell rebranded PERCs,
and we've never had trouble, except with ones nearly 10 years old.

        mark