[CentOS] Third-party SATA-RAID cards suggestions

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Thu Dec 5 17:54:37 UTC 2013

On 12/5/2013 7:56 AM, Keith Keller wrote:
>> The card should preferably be able to connect ten harddrives, but I guess
>> >three four-port cards should work as well. There's no need for anything fancy
>> >really, as long as I can create a single big software-raid on it at CentOS
>> >install-time.
> There's little reason to do that if you have a real hardware RAID card.
> (I won't say "no reason", but it would have to be extremely compelling
> for it to be wise to go that route.)

well, 3 4 port hardware raid cards wouldn't be able to make a single
raid, you'd at best get 3 seperate raids, one per card, and when
managing it, you'd need to track which drive is on which card.

re hardware raid cards, I've not had any issues using LSI 926x-8i cards
(x = 0,1, different connector locations mostly), these are MegaRAID SAS2
cards.  again, with a SAS expander on a single 4-channel connector, I've
had as many as 36 SATA drives (in a RAID6+0, organized as 3 x 11 drives,
plus 3 hot spares), and gotten very good performance.