[CentOS] died again

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sat Dec 7 08:26:43 UTC 2013

On 12/6/2013 7:02 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> If I remove the right screws, I think that moving it farther into
> the case would allow it to be removed.
> For that, I'd want it on its side so that it didn't fall on something.

nearly all PC power supplies are standard ATX/EPS format.   remove side
panel, case on side,  unplug ALL the power wires, untangle and extract
the power harness, remove the 4 screws on the back panel around the PSU
vents, and it lifts out from the inside of the case.     replace with a
decent brand supply of equal or higher wattage rating, and the correct
ATX version (v2.1 or whatever). really old systems used much more 5V
than modern PSU's offer, and used less 12V.   modern PSU's are mostly
all about the 12V, the other voltages are lower current.  many newer
systems need additional 12V plugs for the mainboard, like 2x2 or 2x3
connectors.

In some system cases, the PSU is screwed to a shelf or bracket or back
plate that comes out with it as a unit, then you disassemble them.