[CentOS] died again

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sun Dec 8 21:18:44 UTC 2013

On 12/8/2013 8:27 AM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Dec 2013, John R Pierce wrote:
>
>> >geez, its a 10 year old pentium-4, and not even a late p4, a middle aged
>> >32bit-only one....   put it out of its misery, its been living on
>> >borrowed time for the last 5 years.
> You mean since it was two?

i find most computer electronics have a half life of about 5 years.
after 5 years, they get increasingly flakey.   your motherboard is a 10
year old system, hence my 'borrowed time for 5 years' statement.

the 865G chipset on that motherboard was new in 2003, and the Pentium-4
"northwood" CPU (I think thats what you have) were obsoleted by 2004
(processors started coming in socket 775 rather than 478 circa summer
2004).

that D865GBF motherboard was new in April 2003, and the final
specification update was November 2004, although they probably did sell
it for another year or so before it was withdrawn.   It was taken off
support in 2007, so if you got it 7 years ago (2006?), it was already
nearing its end-of-support-life.