[CentOS] RHEL 7 Beta is now public

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Dec 12 14:06:40 UTC 2013

Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 01:19:26 +1300
> Peter <peter at pajamian.dhs.org> wrote:
>> Right, but core should be just the bare minimum.  NetworkManager is
>> certainly not required to configure your network, in fact el7 runs
>> just fine without it.  Just set your ifcfg-eth0 scripts, etc, and
>> you're good to go.
>
> By the same logic you could argue that a text editor is not required
> for a bare minimum --- namely, you can always use cat and echo from the
> command line to "edit" the config files.
>
> The point of the text editor in a minimal installation is to make life
> easier for a sysadmin. The point of NetworkManager is the same --- it
> is included so that you don't have to "just set your ifcfg-eth0
> scripts".

I disagree. NetworkManager is fine... on a laptop, where you're going to
be moving it from network to network. For a wired network - that is, for
any server (remember the "Enterprise" part of the name?) - it's utterly
unnecessary. And it wall worked fine before NM. And NM has caused problems
on occasion, before we just turned the thing *off*.

        mark