[CentOS] RHEL 7 Beta is now public

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 21:35:40 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 8:49 AM, Leon Fauster <leonfauster at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Am 11.12.2013 um 17:03 schrieb Alain Péan <alain.pean at lpn.cnrs.fr>:
> > Le 11/12/2013 16:56, Karanbir Singh a écrit :
> >> http://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/rhel/beta/7/
> >>
> >> Go get it ( maybe consider using a mirror ), play with it, test it, and
> >> file reports. Dont use it in production.
> >>
> >> As in the past, we highly encourage people to use the official beta
> >> builds from Red Hat and to report issues athttp://bugzilla.redhat.com/
> >>
> >> Within CentOS, we are going to do a CentOS7Beta1 build to match the
> >> release upsteam, and do it in a manner that allows lots of people to get
> >> involved and track progress. Keep an eye out on posts on the
> >> centos-devel list to see how you can get involved and help with the
> >> CentOS Builds and testing process.
> >
> > There seems to be only x86_64 release ? That would be in the current
> trend...
>

> that is really an issue for us because we use EL for some small i586 hw
> (router etc.).

Indeed.
Now RHEL/CentOS won't be able to run on PC Engines ALIX hardware (with PAE
enabled in CentOS 6 the kernel needed recompiled, but that's not too
horrible).  I opted to run another distro, so I never went through all the
work for ALIX hardware.

In a way it's a shame...
At the same time I can see why RH is going x86_64 only ... much hardware in
data centers is 64bit capable and running 64bit OSes.

And they're also will be supporting three releases (5, 6, 7) for a period
of time as well.

It's probably a good time to consider other alternatives. :-/
Fedora, Debian, Voyage, OpenWrt, Gentoo, etc, etc.

Unless it's embedded hardware ... by the time EL6 isn't supported I'll be
you'll have a beefier x86_64 machine as a firewall! :)

> --
> LF

Mike
//  SilverTip257  //