[CentOS] RHEL 7 Beta is now public

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Mon Dec 16 11:58:54 UTC 2013

On 12/15/2013 10:23 PM, Keith Keller wrote:

>> CentOS *IS* RHEL rebuilt without branding and offered without support
>> contracts.  So saying the needs of the user differ is specious.
>
> I disagree.  The people RH may be targetting for purchasing RHEL7 may
> very well be different from the people hoping to use CentOS 7.  If not
> enough paying RHEL customers complain about this issue, they're not
> likely to change their policy; upset CentOS users probably won't bother
> upstream enough.

therefore, if enough people sign up to help and do the work, we can make
the resources available within the project to facilitate this. the
people doing the work in centos for the distro base do not have the
bandwidth to add this additional task - so its going to need people to
stay up and offer to do the work. I'm happy and very willing to help
bootstrap the process.

Also worth keeping in mind is that this would be a 'derevative' of the
core CentOS Linux and it wont just be CentOS Linux 7/i686. That gives us
a few easy wins : we dont need to port the entire package set, and we
can selectively make changes to things like the installer ( to work
around the xfs issue, however looking at the code briefly, we dont /
wont have the xfs issue anyway, the installer is smart enough to work
around on i686 ).

There would also be implications on how we do the release work, but the
main issue at hand, that needs to be solved before we even consider this
as a group : who's stepping up to do the work involved. Off the top of
my head, this is going to need a team of 5 to 8 people doing stuff 'in
odd hours' or a couple of people working on this as their primary focus.

- KB

--
Karanbir Singh