[CentOS] Headless system

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Tue Dec 17 18:04:54 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 10:56 AM, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> Suggestion: check the closets, and people's desks. Certainly, we have a
> *lot* of crap (i.e., IDE drives, old, OLD SCSI drives) laying around.

I have a strict rule at the office: if no one's using it, throw it out.  MY
actual office is always the 'dumping ground' for stuff like that, to the
point where I couldn't walk through it one day, so I had to start tossing
crap.  So, yeah, no keyboards, at least not the USB kind.  I have three
that are PS/2 though ... lot of good they're doing me.

> And eBay's got 'em for $6,99. (No, you can't have mine that I have at
> home, not until I get a USB one....)

Right ... not going to help me right now though, unless eBay can deliver
within the next 3 hours.

> Kickstart. I'd say pxeboot, but without a keyboard to tell it to boot off
> the net, that's a problem.

Kickstart ... ok, I'm going to have to dig into that.  I wonder, can I grab
the netinstall ISO, extract the files, and add/modify the necessary files
for bootup that tells it to start vnc (with appropriate options), then
create a new ISO?