[CentOS] died again

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 23:49:03 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Michael Hennebry <
hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Dec 2013, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>
> > I wonder if its time to start considering a social list again; very
> > little of the conversation in this thread is really CentOS specific now.

+1
Maybe ... :)

This thread will never die! :-S

> On Fri, 13 Dec 2013, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>
> > I noticed the the grub stanza for my F14 contains the line
> > kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.35.14-106.fc14.i686.PAE ...
> > For CentOS, I have
> > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-358.23.2.el6.i686 ...
> > I note the absence of PAE for CentOS.
> > I've read that PAE can be important.
> > Could it be the reason that an F14 boot lasts so much longer than CentOS?
> > If so, how do I get a PAE kernal for CentOS?
> >
> > If not,
> > could I get or make a kernel version for CentOS similar to the one F14
> uses?
>
> On Mon, 16 Dec 2013, Les Mikesell wrote:
>
> > I think PAE is a required default in CentOS6 instead of an option.
> > CentOS5 had separate kernel versions.
>
> Even if PAE is not important,
> the different kernel versions might be the
> reason that F14 lasts longer than CentOS 6.
> Could someone point me to directions for getting
> or making a 2.6.35... kernal for CentoS 6?

Easiest is probably to grab the SRPM for that kernel version and recompile
it.  But at the same time, you might be able to just snag the RPM for that
kernel version and transplant it.  CentOS6 is similar to Fedora 12 in
package versions [0] so it may or may not work so well with F14 pieces.

** You are responsible for whatever dependency problems this transplanting
might create. **

Here's what you asked for ... the SRPM of that F14 kernel at [2] and the
non-PAE RPM at [3] and the PAE one [4]
Fedora custom kernel building instructions at [1]

[0] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux#History
[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Building_a_custom_kernel
[2]
http://archive.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/updates/14/SRPMS/kernel-2.6.35.14-106.fc14.src.rpm
[3]
http://archive.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/updates/14/i386/kernel-2.6.35.14-106.fc14.i686.rpm
[4]
http://archive.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/updates/14/i386/kernel-PAE-2.6.35.14-106.fc14.i686.rpm

> --
> Michael   hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
> "SCSI is NOT magic. There are *fundamental technical
> reasons* why it is necessary to sacrifice a young
> goat to your SCSI chain now and then."   --   John Woods

Mike
//  SilverTip257  //