[CentOS] Virtual Machine converted from physical : Kernel Panic at boot .

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 01:55:50 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 6:55 PM, Eric Michaelis <combinare at gmail.com> wrote:

> 5. Create a new initrd:
>
> mkinitrd /boot/initrd-KERNELVERSION.img KERNELVERSION
>
> 6. Exit out of the rescue environment, reboot, and hope for the best..

I'd do  a "grub-install /dev/sda" while your are there...

In similar scenarios, I've sometimes done a fresh install of another
VM, updated to the same rev as the copied system, then copying the
contents of /boot over to the one that isn't working.  Roundabout, but
anaconda knows a lot more than I do about matching drivers to devices
- and there may be something interesting in /etc/modprobe.conf too.
If you are willing to start from scratch and have a host with some NFS
space to hold a temporary backup, you could try copying the system
with the 'rear' package from EPEL.   It will make a bootable iso image
(that you can map into the VM to boot) that includes the tools from
your running system to partition and set up the filesystems before
restoring the backup into it.   I've used it to convert some systems
with raid, etc. that the VMware converter did not recognize.  Also, it
gives you a chance to edit the filesystem layout if you want (not
exactly straightforward, but at least possible).

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com