[CentOS] ZFS on Linux testing

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 00:07:02 UTC 2013

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 5:41 PM, Lists <lists at benjamindsmith.com> wrote:
> On 12/18/2013 03:04 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> For the people who don't know, backuppc builds a directory tree for
>> each backup run where the full runs are complete and the incrementals
>> normally only contain the changed files. However, when you access the
>> incremental backups through the web interface or the command line
>> tools, the backing full is automatically merged so you don't have to
>> deal with the difference - and when using rsync as the xfer method,
>> deletions are tracked correctly.

> Should I read this as "BackupPC now has its own filesystem driver"? If
> so, wow. Or do you mean that there are command line tools to read/copy
> BackupPC save points?

No it is all application level stuff that really only needs hardlinks
to work correctly and atomically on the underlying filesystem.  It
does, however, have its own rsync implementation in perl that knows
how to work with compressed files on the server side while chatting
with a stock rsync at the other end.   There is a web interface to
browse/restore (or download single files or tar/zip images) and
command line tools to extract single files or tar images.  I think
someone did do a read-only fuse filesystem on top of it though, so you
could do things like grep/diff/rsync directly - but it is not part of
the standard system.

--
    Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com