[CentOS] TCP port to TTY/Serial Port?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 17:16:33 UTC 2013

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 10:29 AM, Joseph Spenner <joseph85750 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Mogens:
>   Thanks for reply!
>   Here's the actual scenario:
>
> I have a system running an application which wants to get its data from a physical serial port.   My goal is to provide this data from a network connection, and ~trick~ the application into thinking it's still getting it from the serial port.  Technically it is still on the serial port, but the data is arriving via TCP.
> So, it's all on the same machine.   The idea would be for the machine to run an application, pointed at the serial port.  My netcat would receive the data being pushed to it on a TCP port, and redirect it to the serial port.

Do you need a real serial port involved at all?   It sounds like what
you really want is a linux device that looks like a tty in terms of
accepting ioctl's from a program that thinks it is a serial port, but
actually accepts a tcp connection.    I suppose you could rig a
loopback cable and actually have a separate program writing to the
serial port with the loopback returning it to your listening
application.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com