[CentOS] And then there was one (browser)

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Mon Dec 23 15:04:13 UTC 2013

On Sat, December 21, 2013 16:54, Peter wrote:
> On 12/22/2013 09:00 AM, Scot P. Floess wrote:
>>
>> as much as I hate to admit it, I'm not sure what mono/moonlight are...
>
> Linux implementation of Microsoft .net and Silverlight respectively.
> Silverlight was supposed to be Microsoft's answer to flash which never
> really took off except in some high corporate and government situations
> where some PHB was tricked into it by a Microsoft salesman.
>
> Both mono (and as an extension moonlight) are spearheaded by Novel with
> "support" from Microsoft, which means it will almost work but not quite.

Were spearheaded, not are spearheaded.  Novel is long gone from the picture.

Presently Mono is a Ximian project (http://www.mono-project.com), which is
where it started as far as I can recall.  To the best of my knowledge
Moonlight recently was resuscitated after having near death experience but, at
the moment, is SUSE only as far as Linux support goes.

Canada  L8E 3C3