[CentOS] Centos-compatible motherboards

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri Dec 27 22:16:57 UTC 2013

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 12:44:02PM -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 12/27/2013 07:11 AM, Fred Smith wrote:

> >> I personally have recently built 2 different systems with with the Asus
> >> M5A99X Evo R2.0 motherboard.  This one does not have a graphics card ...
> >> everything does work with CentOS-6.5 and RHEL7B1.
> >>
> >> It uses AMD CPUs and I have used several AM3+ CPUs, including Sempron
> >> 100, FX-6150, and FX-8150.
> >>
> >> https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A99X_EVO_R20/
> >>
> >> One of the nicest features is it will detect and set a working BIOS
> >> memory timing with a press of a button on the board ... if you try
> >> something manually that is incompatible, a simple press of the button
> >> and reboot will get you back to a working config.
> > Johnny:
> >
> > I assume it has UEFI and "secure boot"? did you disable the secure boot
> > feature before installing? (AFAIK Centos doesn't yet support UEFI/secure
> > boot????)
> >
> > I have an existing pair of drives holding Centos in a software Raid-1
> > configuration, and I'm assuming I can simply move them to the new
> > board, boot and be off to the races. Can you comment on that assumption?
>
> The software raid-1 should work fine ... plenty of room for drives on
> that board.  As long as you have a normal file system on sata dirves, it
> should boot.  You may need to reconfigure the hardware (obviously,
> different network cards, audio, video, etc.)
>
> The version of the BIOS that I currently have does have a secure boot
> turn off feature. (1302 x64 is my BIOS version) Looks like there are 5
> newer versions of the BIOS than the one I have installed now.

Johnny:

Thanks once more for the info.

one other thing I thought to ask about: my current gigabyte board, with
Phenom II X2, somehow doesn't expost the Virtual extensions in the CPU
in a way that VirtualBox can recognize it (I'm sure it's a VB bug, but
I'd like to be rid of it), preventing installation of 64-bit VMs.
Have you by any chance tried VB on that motherboard (with Centos) and
noted whether it lets you install 64-bit VMs ?

Thanks once more.