[CentOS] OT: memory brands?

Wed Feb 20 20:57:38 UTC 2013

John R Pierce wrote:
>>> never*heard*
>> I like Crucial.
>
> I used to use Crucial.    Then I had a bunch of hard-to-diagnose issues
> with different systems that finally tracked down to various 'high end'
> Crucial Ballistix memories.   Switched to Corsair for desktop stuff,
> haven't had any problems.     Most of my servers have either OEM brand
> (HP, Dell, IBM) memory (often it turns out to be Hyundai or Samsung), or
> Kingston.

Let me throw one back: if I can avoid it, I *really* don't want Hynix. We
had DIMM problems about two years ago in high-end servers... one from
Dell, one from Penguin, and one from Sun, and ALL THREE had, um, I think
they were 8G Hynix. Had it been one server OEM, I'd figure they'd gotten a
bad batch; with three different OEMs, I figure Hynix was having q/a/q/c
problems.

I'm looking at something called "Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3-1333 (PC3-10600)
CL9 Dual Channel". Was this the type that you had problems with, John?

So far, it looks like Crucial, with the most votes, and the price is
reasonable (though I would have liked ECC, I don't want to pay another
$30.)

Thanks to all who responded.

       mark