[CentOS] Multiple Virtual SSL sites with Apache httpd on CentOS 5

Harold Pritchett harold at uga.edu
Mon Feb 4 04:02:52 UTC 2013

According to this post which is over 3 years old (http://tinyurl.com/69gr4ol), the apache httpd server now supports multiple ssl sites on the same server.  This became effective
with release 2.2.12.  It also requires OpenSSL 0.9.8f or later.

My system is as follows:
# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5.9 (Final)
# httpd -version
Server version: Apache/2.2.3
Server built:   Jan 10 2013 08:19:28
# openssl version
OpenSSL 0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 01 Jul 2008

I know that the upstream provider often provides services added to new releases as updates to the current release.  My question is how can I get multiple secure web sites on a
single IP address and port?  Has the upstream provider added this function to the current server?

Will it work with my current software?  If not, can I build and install the current release of OpenSSL (1.0.1c) and Apache httpd (2.4.3) along side my current apache and OpenSSL?
Must I un-install my current httpd and OpenSSL and then build and install the current versions?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Harold