[CentOS] CentOS 4 kernel panic error

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Mon Feb 4 10:14:44 UTC 2013

On 2/4/2013 1:17 AM, rajaranjan wrote:
> Hi,
> I tried to install CentOS 4.1(x86_64) on my virtual machine.
> I am getting kernel panic error. Installation program crashed.
> I also tried CentOS 4.0 and CentOS 4.2, got same error.
> There is  no  problem  with  installing  CentOS 4.1(32  bits).

4.0, 4.1, and 4.2 were released a few months apart in 2005, built with
kernel 2.6.9.   why are you installing 8 year old software on a new system ?

if you absolutely have to run a EL4 derivative, at least run 4.9, which
was released in 2011, but be aware there have been no security fixes for
it since a year ago.