[CentOS] Java app not observing ACLs

Nikolaos Milas

nmilas at noa.gr
Tue Feb 5 15:32:56 UTC 2013

Hello,

I have inherited a Java app, available as a jar, which has been moved
from an HPUX server as is. [This app simply downloads a data file from
an ftp server, processes its data and creates graph files.]

It works fine on a CentOS 5 x86_64 machine with: jre-7u9-linux-x64.rpm
but I've noticed it does not respect Linux ACLs. When run by a user who
has access to a directory (where the app creates a file) only via ACLs
(and not by basic user/group permissions), then I get "permission
denied" issues.

I've googled for the problem but have not been able to find references.

Is anyone aware of such behavior and can suggest a solution?

Thanks,
Nick