[CentOS] recent ruby packages?

James Szinger jszinger at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 16:22:40 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 7:55 AM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> As I keep noting, many perl CPAN packages are available as rpms - I know,
> since my manager prefers we not build any from CPAN unless it's a) not
> available from a trusted repository as an rpm, and b) actually required by
> a developer. As an rpm, of course, if there's an update, it'll get taken
> care of the next update we do; otherwise, we have to remember which of our
> 150 or so systems has what that has to be built.

You should check out cpanspec, available from EPEL, which makes it easy to
package CPAN modules into RPMs.  Well-behaved modules are nearly trivial
and the Fedora Packing Guideline help make sane packages out of the more
complicated modules.  Then build with mock and put the RPM into a local
repository and manage with yum.  You might need to iterate a few time to
satisfy all the dependencies, but that's a one-time deal.

The only real problem I've encountered is a program that wants to update a
core perl module and RPM rightly complains about that.  If had used cpan
directly, I would not have been warned about the conflict and might have
ended up with a broken system.

Jim